Wednesday, July 14, 2010

2nd Grade Family Heritage Homework Assignment

One day this spring, my son came home with a Social Studies homework assignment/project. It was due in 2 weeks and needed to be about his family heritage.

3 days before it was due, Adam and I started working. Because of our own procrastination and Adam's writing deficiencies, we decided it would be best for him to create a Photo Story.

First, we had to collect family photos. Some we took that day and some we retrieved from the digital family archives. Next, we had to collect the information so Adam called his grandparents who live down the road and arranged a "visit." When we arrived, Me-me and Pa-pa had already been in the attic to find the family artifacts that had been passed down. An accordion, homemade wooded toys, and currency from different countries were just some of the items. Adam immediately became engaged and excited.

During the interview with his grandparents, Pa-pa began to cry as he told about his hardworking mother and father. It touched all our hearts and will be a memory we will treasure forever. Watch the video and see Adam's final outcome.

Photo Story is a wonderful tool to use with GT kids. Don't assume they already know how to do the research, what steps to take, and what to do in general. All these things need to be taught. With most GT kids, once you teach them how to do it the first time, they can take it from there.

I am in the process of placing the heritage project on Kleinshare and then I can create a link.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat project! I am so sorry that you couldn't get it to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoy using photostory with my last year's third grade class. I brought in my digital camera and allowed students to use a stuffed blue dog and a bone to create a short photostory for prepositional phrases. It was a great way to share our knowledge with the ELL learners.

    ReplyDelete