Thursday, July 15, 2010

Creating Wikis for Use in the Classroom

I took a course last year on wikis and left confused. This year, it is finally making sense for me. It helped me to look at other educators' wikis to get an idea of what exactly I could use it for.

Since I don't have a classroom, I decided to create a wiki for a grant 2 other teachers and I wrote last year. The HITLit (High in Technology) Book Club grant allowed us to order 38 award-winning novels (8 books for each title) for GT students in grades 3 - 5 to be shared among Metzler, Haude, and Schultz Elementaries.

Because there are multiple schools using the books from the list, using a wiki makes perfect sense of how to manage all the discussions that will happen before, during, and after students read the books.

We created a blog to be shared between the 3 schools. The blog had a picture and synopsis of each book so students could read the summary and decide if that is the right book for them.

Not many students posted comments. It might be because of the format. I can't wait to see if the wiki will work better.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about your wiki. Having three campuses use a wiki is something that we did not do in the pilot. I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

    ReplyDelete